Thursday 11 February 2016

There are no rules -- Hegarty on creativity

I really enjoyed reading this book Hegarty on creativity, by Thames and Hudson and took some clever, interesting quotes from it.

"What the heart knows today, the head will understand tomorrow."  -  (James Stevens, Irish writer)
This explains that creativity lies within the heart and as people we get ideas and in our heart we will know whether it is a great idea or not so we should ignore our head and follow or heart!

"Creativity should encourage, enthuse, engage and entertain."

"Creativity is not an occupation; it's a preoccupation."  -  to be a creative you must be always working as this involves constantly looking, thinking and watching. This made me think for a few minutes as to how much I really look, think and watch things around me properly and it made me feel I need to reflect and do these things a lot more often.

"Remove your headphones!"  -  the writer put their point across that wearing headphones walking around is such a big mistake to make as people are cutting themselves from the inspiration around them. Due to the fact inspiration is all around us...,all we see, hear, smell, touch and taste help us to form new ideas, even if we don't realise it at the time. This was probably the quote that had the most impact on me in a way that it made me stop and think for a moment that I constantly have my headphones in when walking around from place to place. Whether I am walking to and from uni, going shopping to just for a general walk, I have my music on. However, I think from now onwards I will try to not always put my headphones in straight away so I can appareciate what is really going on around me and avoid missing out on any inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment